so after many more hours of trying to figure this issue out.  this is what I
know

get_treelist calls _process_trees_arg which is what sets _trees and returns it.

if I call $config->get_treelist() it’s only right the first time, I can never
reset it.
if I call $config->_standard_treelist() it’s always right, it changes with the
config params
if I call $config->custom_treelist() it’s always right, it’s tells me if
$config->get_treelist() differs $config->_standard_treelist(), basically.

so the question is why does _process_trees_arg fail?  Am I calling things wrong?
---
TS
http://www.southofheaven.org/
Life begins and ends with chaos, live between the chaos!