On the question of variants, there is one thing that is very important
to keep in mind:  fink is a front-end to dpkg.

This means that whatever scheme we adopt, there will need to be a translation
to dpkg names.

If we are feeding dependency information to dpkg, for example, all of
that information will need to be translated to dpkg names.

A simple scheme of variants for a single fink package foo, could have
variants A, B, C leading to dpkg packages foo-A, foo-B, foo-C, for
example.  dpkg would be told that all of these "Provide: foo."

I start to get nervous about inheritance, though, under these circumstances.
It could lead to some very complicated situations.

Just my 2/100th's of <name your favorite currency>.

   -- Dave