Maybe this will be clearer if we declare "Type: shlibs" for these packages.
As you've pointed out, Max, this is really a different kind of thing
than the other versioning we've been discussing, and flagging it that
way will help people to remember this.

My examples libpng-1.0.12-3 and libpng-shlibs-1.0.12-3 are now in the unstable
tree.  By the way, it wouldn't hurt to add "Replaces: libpng (<< 1.0.12-3)"
to libpng-1.0.12-3, which would bring the dependencies completely in synch
with each other.  (Sorry that I didn't think of this until after I
committed.)

I don't think a ShlibsReplaces field will be needed at all.

  -- Dave