Max, along these lines, I noticed that freetype2 is included in xfree86-4.2.
Like in the case of zlib, there is a version mismatch between fink's
version and xfree86's version, so we can't simply drop the fink freetype2.

        /usr/X11R6/lib/libfreetype.6.dylib (compatibility version 6.0.0, current
version 6.0.0)
        /sw/lib/libfreetype.6.dylib (compatibility version 7.0.0, current version
7.1.0)

However, we could do a similar thing to what you did with zlib, and
partially eliminate the duplication for users who have an up-to-date
xfree86.

  -- Dave