At 8:45 Uhr +0900 09.02.2002, Peter O'Gorman wrote:
>>That won't work with a shared fink folder. I pointed that out in my
>>original mail I believe :)
>Yes, I really ought to learn to read...
>
>Fink could write to /sw/var/lib/dpkg/available directly (this isn't
>going to be shared).
>Changing dpkg doesn't seem like the "right thing".

It's not nice, but then we already have to do apply a multitude of
Fink specific changes to dpkg.

And I don't see how diretly modifying /sw/var/lib/dpkg/available is
in any way nicer. It isn't, but it adds unnecessary fragility. Plus
it is less flexible - basically, whenever Fink was run, we'd have to
check if the system version changed, and if that was the case, update
that file. So if the user always used apt-get and never fink
directly, the file never would be updated.

OTOH, if dpkg "knows" about the packages, it will always be correct.

Max