I enclose a suggested addition to the shared libraries documentation.
I believe that it addresses the problems Martin has uncovered.  Any
comments?

  -- Dave

Packages containing both binary files and libraries

When an upstream package contains both binary files and libraries, some
care must be exercised in constructing fink packages.  In some cases,
the only binary files will be things like <code>foo-config</code> which
are presumably only used at build time and never at run time.  In these
cases, the binaries can go with the header files in the <code>foo</code>
package.

In other cases, the binary files will be needed by other packages at
runtime, and they must be split off into a separate fink package with
package should depend on the <code>foo-shlibs</code> package, and
maintainers of other packages should be encouraged to use
<codeblock>
               Depends: foo-bin
               BuildDepends: foo
</codeblock>
which will take care of foo-shlibs implicitly.

Upgrading presents a problem in this situation, however, since users won't
be prompted to install <code>foo-bin</code>.  To work around this, until
all other package maintainers have revised their packages as above,
your <code>foo</code> package can say
<codeblock>
              Depends: foo-shlibs (= exact.version), foo-bin
</codeblock>
This will force the installation of foo-bin on most users' systems, until
such time as the other package maintainers have upgraded their packages
which depend on <code>foo</code>.