Mac OS X doesn't have recursive mutexes... I don't know what was
done with orbit, perhaps recursive locking was not required...

You can't really work around it easily, you'll have to write a
recursive mutex function yourself.

There was some discussion on darwin-development about this
recently, perhaps an archive search there will help you out.

Peter