On Tue, 9 Apr 2002, Sasha Zucker wrote:

> I suspect that this error is the result of a system configuration issue.
> The head utility that occurs in the package simply displays the first
> lines of a file (opposite of the tail utility which displays the end of
> a file). I am not familiar with the head utility that your system is
> attempting to use.

It's LWP's head, which gets header [meta-] info from a given URL, and
(quite understandbly) doesn't know what to do when you give it a file name
as an argument. It's the old case sensitivity issue -- LWP offers to
install this helper Perl script 'HEAD' that on case insensitive HFS+ ends
up overwriting the built-in 'head' command.

Thus, hard-wiring /usr/bin/head won't help, because it will be a different
command for users that accidentally broke it with LWP. On the other hand,
you might be able to check for these error messages, which might be able
to help automatically describe the problem for people: "Looks like you
have 'LWP-head' instead of the system 'head'. Unable to continue..."

--
Chris Devers                                [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Apache / mod_perl / http://homepage.mac.com/chdevers/resume/

"More war soon. You know how it is."    -- mnftiu.cc