Hi,

In the package request tracker there's an item for perl 5.6.1,
which would be very valuable for a lot of people.  So would perl
5.7.2, and the upcoming perl 5.8.0.  The only problem is what to
do with the Apple-installed version at /usr/bin/perl .  There
are a few choices, and this really opens debate about what
should happen for *any* library/program that Apple installs but
that we might want to update via fink - for example, Apache.

In this case, I can see several options:

  a) create a package "perl" which replaces the Apple-installed stuff

This is clearly against the fink packaging guidelines.

  b) use a virtual package "sysperl" to check the version of perl
     currently installed.  The user can then upgrade by hand.

This would work, except that it's not very finky, and it may
cause problems when Apple releases updates.

  c) + create a package "perl", which installs binaries and
       library files in /sw, and
     + create a virtual package "sysperl" that just checks the version
       of the Apple-installed stuff

I think this would work well.  It's quite possible to have
several versions of perl installed at once, with different
library trees (site_perl).  The choice of which one to execute
would just depend on the PATH. ("Just", he says glibly.)

Comments?

  -Ken