hi,

On Mon, Apr 15, 2002 at 06:50:32PM +0100, Finlay Dobbie wrote:
> Anyway, I was also thinking about revamping how to deal with extra users
> in Fink... Users shouldn't have to agree to have all the users required
> by any Fink package when they only want to use one of them, and it
> shouldn't really require a modification in the passwd package every time
> a package maintainer wants to add one. Thoughts on how we could
> implement this?

what about making a directory /sw/etc/passwd-fink.d ? every package
requiring an own user can put a file there with just one line
containing the password information. after installation the script of
the passwd package can add all users.

someone would have to keep track of the uids in use, of course.

cheers,
  kilian