At 9:43 Uhr -0400 23.04.2002, Chris Zubrzycki wrote:

>How hard would it be to add code to perform x number of downloads at
>once, where x is set in the config field? just wondering, for people
>who have fast connections.

First, you would have to do multiple process (forks). Then you have
to manage those somehow.

Now what do you do if one of the downloads fails - ok the process has
to interact with the user. Now another fails. Doh. OK, maybe you can
add a "manager process" which will first handle the one then the
other. Now, what if the user "aborts" one of the downloads. Do the
others continue or are they aborted also? You have to differentiate
between being called as part of "fink fetch-all" or "fink
fetch-missing", and the case where you are called as part of "fink
build" etc.

Then, what if two packages try to download the same files (this does
actually happen for some packages). So of course you have to handle
that as well.

Etc. etc.

What I want to say with this is not that it's impossible, just not
that trivial as you might think at the first glance. I didn't even
think about this long (I just started writing the reply by writing
what came to my head, so I am certain there are other issues left I
didn't even think about). So you first would need to determine what
it is actually you want to do (i.e. find answers for my questions
above). Once you did this (the hard part), you can think about how to
implement it.

>(would it be too hard to do for a perl beginner?)

Depends on what the beginner knows? I.e. I don't view it as language
problem, rather a design issue.

Max