On Saturday, May 11, 2002, at 02:45 PM, Justin Hallett wrote:

> the problem is that qt was made to live in seperate directories, Not
> that
> I want to say it but I think we should see how debian handled this to
> avoid more problems.  The problem with this I think will be with the bin
> portion.  I think that the qt2-shlibs will need qt2-bin I'm sure the
> qt2-bin and qt3-bin moc binary are not the same.  I think we might need
> put them in /sw/share/qt2 and /sw/share/qt3 I know this was done with
> the
> first qt3 pkg and Max didn't like it but it was also installed in
> /sw/qt3.
>  I think it's the only way they can both truly co-exist.  Unless this
> way
> works for everyone but their will have to be restrictions like version
> specific depends on -bin and on qt won't really be possible.

No... the only things that need to coexist are shlibs for runtime.

the -bin package is only for end-user binaries (qt designer and such).
moc and other utilities that are used for actual building *with* qt are
part of the base (qt2/qt3) package.  They should be able to upgrade over
each other at any time.  Just like any other properly created shlibs
(grin).  The problem we ran into was we tried to make a temporary
solution for people upgrading over the qt-3.0.* packages and it bit us
once we realized we needed qt2 and qt3 to coexist.

Part of the problem was we first had the conversation about it on IRC no
one thought there were any apps in fink that had problems with qt3 and
wanted to be built in qt2.  Now it turns out there is (or at least
something being packaged), and we need both.  :(

Ahh, well, it's hopefully over now.  Things are the way they should have
been in the beginning if we hadn't been confused about the -shlibs
thing...  We'll just chalk it up to a learning experience.