I'm posting this here in case it might be useful to the people working
on KDE.

The problem with KDE startup that I described earlier (same one Douglas
Wing was having) was caused by kdeinit being unhappy about multiple
definitions of the variable _name (see the log I posted to fink-users
earlier). This problem goes away if I do unsetenv
DYLD_FORCE_FLAT_NAMESPACE (it was set to 1). I tried this after reading
the dyld man page. I still can't get a normal startup, because it
appears that the variable gets reset to 1 (by XDarwin?), so that if I
try to start KDE using the recommended method via XDarwin I get the same
error log as before. However, if I start up XDarwin with ICEwm, for
example, then open up a terminal, unset the variable, then launch
kdeinit, it runs through its paces without giving the error message
about multiple definitions, and without giving any other error message
(but also without anything noticeable happening to the desktop
environment).

Regards,
                Bill McCallum