.... when the user doesn't have the dev tools installed?

I just tried to do a 'fink selfupdate' on a system that only has the user
stuff installed (silly me-- i rebuilt the system at a whim and forgot to
install the dev tools as it is primarily a server).

The error message returned was not at all indicative of the lack of dev
tools-- Fink complained about /sw/fink.tmp/fink not existing (or something
like that) as a result of the cvs binary not being found.

A better error message would be helpful.   Obviously, this is about as low
of a priority request as can be.