On Saturday, April 13, 2002, at 07:05 AM, David R. Morrison wrote:

About six weeks ago I brought up the issue of making a system-ghostscript
package (message reproduced below). Jeff objected (also reproduced below)
but I would like to revisit the issue, because there is a forthcoming
OzTeX CD which will have Gerben Wierda's teTeX/ghostscript installer on
it, as well as a Fink installer, and I'm trying to set things up so that
users of this CD can easily install Fink's TeX-related packages without
having to go online to do so.

Jeff proposed a policy about system-foo packages: we should only allow them
if the package they are replacing is huge (like system-xfree86 or
system-tetex). I would like to propose that we could have them if
the package is huge, OR if the package has a Restrictive license (like
ghostscript). In the case of a Restrictive license, we won't ever be
able to distribute the deb files via Fink; but users might have legitimately
obtained that package another way with an appropriate license, so we
should accomodate them if possible.

Anyway, Jeff's other objection about this particular case was that the
system-ghostscript package would be fragile and easily broken. I'm willing
to assume responsibility for that, maintaining the package and jumping in
to help users where appropriate.
I'm running into a problem related to system-ghostscript right now. I wanted
to install Imagemagick and the Imagemagick 5.5.1-1 in the fink 10.2 unstable
tree has a dependency on ghostscript. Jaguar includes CUPS and a common
add-on to CUPS is the ESP Ghostscript 7.05.5 distribution, readily available
as a pre-packaged binary for OS X. But the system-ghostscript package
pre-installation script tests for ghostscript 6.01 specifically, not for just any
ghostscript. I had a look at the system-ghostscript-6.01-1.info file and
it looks nontrivial (for me anyway) to patch it up for gs X.YY so I took the
gs dependency out of the imagemagick .info file instead. But in the long
run a change to the system-ghostscript package might be best.

Steve Wall