David R. Morrison wrote:

[]

The dependencies on zlib were removed in a wholesale fashion from a large
number of packages without consulting the maintainers and without
changing the revision numbers.  I believe that the thought was that since
any binary built in the last six months or so would be linked to the
system's libz.dylib instead of to fink's (due to a change in fink at that
time), this was safe.  In the case of libpng, this was done in the
10.1/unstable tree a few days before I moved the package to 10.2/unstable.
I remember. You are probably right that the problem will so rarely appear that it isn't necessary to bother. I just wanted to bring to attention the situation that Pierre is in. We should keep in mind that these packages, when compiled under 10.1, will still work under 10.2, but they cannot be removed and then reinstalled without force or without rebuilding.