On Sunday, November 17, 2002, at 07:23 PM, Max Horn wrote:

At 18:51 Uhr -0500 17.11.2002, Benjamin Reed wrote:
On Sunday, November 17, 2002, at 06:25 PM, Carsten Klapp wrote:

Fair enough not to commit this to CVS right now, it potentially effects many packages. Anyway I understand a code freeze was declared to get the new version out so no reason why this cannot wait until the proper time can be dedicated to it.
Not only that, but -j8 could very easily drop people's systems if they've got less-than-latest hardware (especially low-ram systems). -j2 may be a better compromize -- I'd originally added -j4 to the KDE packages, but had a number of users worried by how much it slows down the system, so it's getting changed to -j2 in the newest ones.
I will probably never accept -j8 or -j2 or -j4 in the default Fink flags. There are just to many packages out there that would be broken by this.
We could add a SafeReentrantMake field, and then add -j2 if that field says it's safe.

--
Alexander Strange

"Is God willing to prevent evil, but not able?
Then he is not omnipotent.
Is he able, but not willing? Then he is malevolent.
Is he both able and willing? Then whence cometh evil?
Is he neither able nor willing? When why call him god?"

--Epicurus