Jeremy> On Wednesday, January 8, 2003, at 02:04  PM, Randal L. Schwartz wrote:

>> Here's my first post:
>>
>> OK, as the first order of the day, how do I get my "delete" key
>> to really be a delete key?  It worked fine under Xdarwin and
>> the version built by fink.

>> I think the solution is some sort of xmodmap, but I just can't seem
>> to wade through the docs well enough.
Jeremy> Perhaps  xmodmap -e "keysym Delete = BackSpace"

Nope.  works in a local emacs, but when I ssh, I get ^H for
both keys over the wire now.

I want it so that when I am in an xterm, and I say "ssh",
then the remote app gets \x7f for the Delete key and \x07 for
the ^H key.  That's the way it works in a Terminal.app.

So, that's not it.  Not for the FAQ yet.

Ahh... I think I've got it.

xmodmap -e "keysym 59 = Delete"

Yes, that seems to be it.  Now where do I put that without creating an
.xinitrc, since I want the default .xinitrc.  (And just where is the
default .xinitrc anyway?)