Let me jump back in one more time regarding multiple versions of perl module
packages.

There is a nifty system for emacs versions in Debian, which has been mostly
implemented in Fink (except that not every package follows it), in which
various files are registered as emacs source files and then if you ever
install a new version of emacs, they are automatically byte-compiled anew
for the new version.  It's nice, because any other package that want to
provide a hook to emacs doesn't have to worry about which version of emacs
is being used.  It implies that all emacs byte-compiling is done in
post-install scripts, so the .deb files themselves don't have to contain
binaries for different emacs versions.

However, my understanding is that this won't work for perl modules.  There
are enough differences between perl versions that perl module authors are
often having to maintain multiple versions of their modules for different
perl versions (or something... excuse my ignorance about this whole business)!
And apparently, one wouldn't want to do the compiling post-install.

So the only option I can see is that each Fink perl module package has to
provide modules for some specific set of perl versions.  If we allow the
module to be compiled by each user with her own currently-installed version
of perl, then we lose one of the fundamental features of Fink: that .deb
files should be the same no matter who compiles them.

If your Fink perl module is binary-compatible with different versions of
perl no matter which version it is compiled with, then great!  You just
install it in both the /5.6.0 and /5.8.0 directories.

However, if it only works with one version, or if it requires separate
compilations for different versions, then that particular version or
versions of perl must be available at build time.  This was the reasoning
behind my suggestion that there would need to be BuildDepends on multiple
versions of perl.

  -- Dave

P.S. I wasn't very clear on my suggestion about putting stuff in /sw/etc.
There had been some discussion of a distinction between fink-installed
perl modules, and user-installed perl modules.  Do we want to encourage
users to put things into the /sw tree?  My idea was that if they did, the
only place they should put them was someplace under /sw/etc.  I am happy
to withdraw the suggestion, but I'd like to hear an alternative.  Or should
we just expect that all users will install all of their perl modules via
Fink?