On the ranlab issue, this came up in one of my packages as well, and my
solution was to test for the presence of ranlib before invoking it.

The idea is, any user without the Developer Tools installed won't be
linking against this library anyway, so it is harmless that ranlib was
not run for them.

Of course, someone who installs the Developer Tools later may get stuck
with a few packages which weren't installed quite right...

  -- Dave