I've installed Perl 5.8.0 into /opt, and added /sw/include and /sw/lib
to the search list.  I can build anything in the CPAN myself, using
libs provided by fink.  It's nice.

I never install any of the fink Perl packages.  I don't need 'em.

However, the packages that depend on those fink Perl packages insist
on installing them, and they break if they include anything that might
end up in /sw/lib/perl5/darwin, since those binaries are not
compatible with my /usr/local/bin/perl (5.6 vs 5.8).  I find myself
watching the "fink install" or "fink update-all" carefully, getting
ready to type "sudo rm -rf /sw/lib/perl5/darwin" immediately if
something gets rammed into there.

For the wishlist, I would like a way to say "I'm managing my own perl
installation, thank you".  I'm sure it'd be too messy to require the
html-parser-pm maintainer to also provide a dummy
system-html-parser-pm, so I'm hoping there's a more sane global
solution to that.  Maybe there could be one large "system-perl" that
provides all the perl requirements for every package.  Or maybe
just an entry in the config file.

Any thoughts on how to do this without breaking everything open?