I wrote:

> When I installed lcms 1.09-1, it overwrote my /usr/bin directory with a
> file, making my system non-bootable. Note my fink dir is
> "/usr/local/finksw".
><http://sourceforge.net/tracker/index.php?func=detail&aid=678560&group_i
d=17203&atid=117203>

I've been thinking about how to prevent this sort of thing happening in
the future. Two things occur to me:

1. Have fink build as non-root. However, to do this properly I think
this requires the use of fakeroot. If anyone wants to port fakeroot,
they'd be doing the fink community an enormous favour.

2. After the dpkg is built, fink should check it to make sure that all
the files are within %p (or within other directories somehow explicitly
mentioned in the .info file).

The point is not to be secure against malicious packages, but to be
safer against accidental errors.

--
Ashley Yakeley, Seattle WA