On Tuesday, March 4, 2003, at 06:48 PM, Matthias Neeracher wrote:

Ben Hines <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
I am currently testing my fink mirror patch. It adds a "fink" mirror
that is intended to hold a mirror of every source tarball, so there
will no longer be any breaking URLs.

Sounds like a great idea in general. However, there probably should be mechanisms to exclude some packages:

- Some packages are just too large and obscure. For instance, if I were to do a 5 piece endgame tablebase package for crafty (which
I haven't done yet), we're talking 6G of disk space, and even the partial 6 piece tablebases are more than that. These packages
are not frivolous at all, but only a handful of people are going to be interested.

Then maybe crafty should get better compression? :)

- Are we sure we have the right to mirror the source to any fink package, or could some of them be licensed under licenses that
forbid mirroring?

"Restrictive" packages will be removed from the mirror as soon as we have code in fink to do it.

As a further concern, the mirror should probably occasionally re-verify MD5-Sums and refetch if they no longer match.

I believe 'fink fetch-missing' already does this.