Hi Max.  I agree that caution is necessary in executing this change.

There are really two things being changed here: (1) we now insist that
dependencies on essential packages should be stated, and (2) in addition
to that, we're going to change the setup of the essential packages.

It's hard to figure out the correct order to do these in.  We can't
ask for a dependency on ncurses-shlibs right now, for example, since
it doesn't exist.  I already proposed creating a "fake" ncurses-dev
for use during the transition, so maybe we could do the same thing
for ncurses-shlibs?  Create fake packages for these, insist that
all dependencies on them be declared, and only then convert to the
new system?

My original proposal certainly has the drawback that it leaves a lot of
cleanup for later.  However, it also has the advantage that after
executing a single step (addition of BuildDepends on -dev), we can
actually *convert* to the new setup of essential packages.  It's probably
much easier to get the revision of dependencies to work out right
if the things you are depending on actually exist at the time.

  -- Dave