Some further thoughts:

<snip>
> <mrkiwi> Consolidation:
> > Yes, getting Gentoo and all the other groups working with Fink was a
> > good idea, but so far it has been poorly executed.  There's no
> > organization for the new influx of developers, which makes forums like
> > this almost useless as well as the package tracker, etc.  We need a
> > darned "spring cleaning" of the entire site because the community
> > environment is getting screwy.</mrkiwi>
>
> </david>Metapkg,org has been announced before WWDC because that is something
> Apple said inofficially they would be fond off. Futhermore the timing
> had been chosen to not let this slip beneath the stream of news from
> WWDC but to have the news picked up before WWDC. Traditionally even the
> non Mac World looks toward the Mac world shortly before WWDC. That
> there is not real infrastructure is something everyone is well aware.
> But fink-devel really is not the place to address metapkg issues, you
> might want to discuss that on their mailing list.</david>

<akh>Amplifying on this point:  the existence of the metapkg mailing
list should cut down on traffic on this list regarding questions of "how
do I get foo ported to Darwin".  Moreover, the fink tracker isn't going
to be receiving Gentoo and OpenDarwin packages as well, so I don't think
this is a problem.  It's really just to make things more efficient:
each of the three systems in the metapkg consortium can use their own
package management on a common port.  It's also been going on anyway:
Ben Reed's been working on KDE for DarwinPorts as well as Fink.</akh>

<snip>

> >  <mrkiwi>I'd even be willing to do some website work on the fink homepage,
> > considering it gets stranger and more confusing by the day.</mrkiwi>
> <david>Since this is a major issue and we do not wish to confuse our users,
> could you please elaborate where it is confusing and how we might go
> about fixing it?</david>

<akh>I concur.  As someone who has worked on the documentation, I'd like
to mention that I've received a few complaints/suggestions from ueers,
and have acted on all of them.  That being said, getting any feedback at
all is rare.</akh>

<snip>

> > <mrkiwi>Target Markets:
> >
> > A novice user running Fink Commander doesn't know if or why their
> > packages aren't updating.  Regular Mac OS X users should be your
> > demographic target, but icky *nix problems get in the way.  Maybe it's
> > time to have a Fink Application written with Quartz API's to come
> > along and save the day.  With umpteen hundred packages floating
> > around, users need easy access to config settings and other "geeky"
> > parts.</mrkiwi>
> >
> <david>We have already adopted FinkCommander as an "official" Frontend to fink
> (the package manager therefore I am writing fink uncapped). The Author
> is very helpful and thus I do not believe that  we should have any
> reason to change that. Adding access to configuration files and the
> like is something which can surely be added to FinkCommander. If you
> are interested in helping the author out, please do contact him.</david>

<akh>It's worth mentioning that novice users doen't necessarily know
hohw to upgrade _any_ software that doesn't nag them about it (Office X
comes to mind here).

I had thought that the proposed .app was to modify runtime config files
for installed packages (kind of like webmin does).</akh>

--
Alexander K. Hansen
Associate Research Scientist, Columbia University, visiting MIT PSFC