Dear fink-devel,

As discussed on the list a while back, I'm planning to convert four of
our essential packages (bzip2, gettext, libiconv, and ncurses) to splitoff
packages.  When this is done, the -dev parts of the packages will no
longer be essential, and you'll need to declare dependencies on them.

I've just taken the first step down this road.  I've put in some placeholder
-dev packages, and I've revised many stable packages (and their unstable)
counterparts) to have a BuildDepends on these.  If the script I ran is
accurate, every stable package which needs these BuildDepends added has had
them added.  (But you should check your own packages!).

The next step will be adding the splittoff versions of these packages.
They'll first be added to the unstable tree.  Once they are in stable,
everyone should start converting their packages to declare dependencies
on specific versions of those packages.  More about that later.

  -- Dave