John,

You'll defintely find some rough edges if you try to use fink with the
WWDC Panther preview.  A number of fink developers will have access to
Panther seeds as software seed key holders, and we're working to get
fink up and running.

I found lots of problems with various 0.5.3 binary packages, so at the
moment I'm using source installs only in 10.3.  Some packages work
immediately, but others need some repair.

You should also be warned that, although we've added a 10.3 tree and the
CVS version of the fink package manager will bootstrap correctly on 10.3,
many things about the setup are subject to change -- we haven't made a
final decision about how to manage the upgrade.  And we won't support
an upgrade path for somebody who installs fink now, using a developer seed
version of 10.3.  So you'll need to be prepared to completely wipe out
your fink and reinstall at some point in the future when we finalize things.

All that being said, if you are a software seed key holder and want to
help the fink team get fink ready for 10.3, we would welcome your
contributions.

  -- Dave