Well, it still doesn't solve the problem of how to retrieve an old patch file
that correctly matches the fink version number.

Peter O'Gorman jokingly suggested on IRC using "ar" to combine them.  Or maybe
it wasn't a joke?  In fact, some way of combining them would be get.
(The "ar" idea is not so good because the resulting file is binary; we need
a text file so the CVS tracks revisions properly.)

How about the ancient notion of a "shar" file.  I haven't seen such a beast
in a long time, nor tools to manipulate it, but it was basically a self-extracting,
text-only version of a tar file.  Is there an up to date version of this
anyplace?

  -- Dave