TheSin said:
> but this is why I'm posting the list, I need ideas for this sort of
> thing, I have most of the major stuff worked out, like not needed a db
> for uids

I must have missed this-- how does this work? (or do I have to UTSL?)

> On Monday, August 11, 2003, at 11:40 AM, Chris Dolan wrote:
>
>> Am I missing something?
>>
>> I don't understand why you have a Pass field at all.  Default
>> passwords are evil, and are an obvious route for attackers.  Perhaps
>> Pass should be a flag to indicate that Fink should prompt the user for
>> a password?  That's still rotten, IMHO, but infinitely better than
>> having default passwords.
>>
>> The usual procedure is to use "*" as the crypted password for daemon
>> accounts, indicating that nobody may log in using that account
>> directly.  IIRC, a blank password crypt usually means that no password
>> is required for login, yes?  That would be very bad.

I have to agree with Chris on this one. I can't think of a single fink
package that would initially require a non-locked password. (Well, maybe
some databases need one for initial access to their own access control
lists-- I haven't checked-- but that's different than the system password
database.)

The pseudo-accounts required by these packages are only for separation of
privileges, not for logins. Usually, the account is used by a process
which starts off running as root, and immediately switches to an
unprivileged pseudo-account to minimize potential damage. Locking the
password ("*" in the crypt field-- no Unix crypt() function should ever
return "*" for a hash) does not prevent privilege separation from working,
and has the added benefit of keeping the account secure.

--
Charles Lepple <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
http://www.ghz.cc/charles/