On Nov 13, 2003, at 1:38 AM, Gordon Mackenzie wrote:

It's sooooo slow when compared to the compiled versions I've found elsewhere for the Mac.

I have found an increase of about 200% (fink-lame speed of 0.7 versus altivec-compiled-lame of 2.2/2.3) when lame is compiled as these fellows have done (on G4's):

http://forums.blacktree.com/viewtopic.php?t=58&start=15

That is not altiveced. GCC does not automatically Altivec anything.
Also, all of those flags are overkill.
'-fast -mcpu=750 -fsingle-precision-constant' is more than enough for LAME. This isn't Gentoo ;)

What you should actually be looking at is this thread where I helped AltiVec parts of LAME (and I'll submit the patch eventually, with code to auto-detect Altivec, but it's extremely low priority for me):

http://arstechnica.infopop.net/OpenTopic/page? a=tpc&s=50009562&f=8300945231&m=1640932885

That actually gives a useful speed up as opposed to just sticking random compiler flags on.