David> My symlink strategy would only apply to non-XS modules.  For XS modules,
David> we make separate fink packages for each version, and properly store
David> things in /sw/lib/perl5/5.x.y .

David> But for non-XS modules,

And for non-XS modules, there's a non-XS entry in the @INC.

David>  it shouldn't matter which version of perl is
David> running it, right?  (as long as the module doesn't explicitly require
David> a more recent version of perl than the one you have installed...)

It's still dangerous to collapse those.  Better to build the newer
Perl that also looks at older directories, than to collapse the old
and new directories.