From: Daniel Macks <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>

We've got a lot of packages that are the same module for different
versions of a language (-pm*, -py*, etc.). Often, the only difference
between these .info files is in the %n and some Depends and pathnames
in *Scripts, and these are either the language version or a condensed
form of it. What do people think about adding a new LangVersion field
that is a single place to define it, and then have two new percent
expansions to insert it as given and condensed?

Absolutely!

I know we recently added "Type: perl $version", so this expansion
could be used in that field value as well. Or else instead of adding a
LangVersion field, just pull the version out of Type: (and extend
Type: to accept python).

I like pulling it out of the type better, but both variants look like improvements over what we have
now.

While we're at it, could we also extend Type to accept Ruby?

Matthias