> There used to exist the opinion that it is not very cumbersome to have
> two ghostscripts installed, but I think this should be rethought.

Let me offer another point of view on this.

Last summer, we introduced virtual packages in Fink which replaced the
former system-xfree86 and system-perl packages.  This has a lot of advantages,
because it means that users are no longer responsible for notifying fink
about something which is present on their system.

I've been thinking we should try to do something similar with the remaining
system-foo packages, or else scrap them.  In fact, they cause quite a bit
of trouble at present: for example, a binary user is often not given a
choice about which of several alternative packages to pick, and may find
that system-tetex is selected rather than tetex.  But system-tetex won't
install in that case, unless the user happens to have an external tetex
installation.

The main packages which would be affected at this point are system-tetex
and system-ghostscript.  They are a bit tricky, because the "external"
installations typically go in /usr/local.  But we could conceivably test
for them.

  -- Dave