I can see some value in disabling /usr/local/include (shouldn't we also disable /usr/local/lib ?), but I think putting %p/include and %p/lib at the end of our search paths rather than the beginning is going to cause us trouble: Wouldn't we be putting ourselves at the mercy of anything that Apple decides to ship in a new OS version? What benefit would we get from the different search order?

What if we make CPPFLAGS=-I%p/include -DLOCAL_INCLUDE_DIR=\%p/include ?

That way, %p/include would theoretically be searched twice, but in practice, the second time wouldn't actually matter, since any successful #include would already be done by then.

Matthias