Rob> On Tue, Feb 24, 2004 at 12:13:40PM -0800, Randal L. Schwartz wrote:
>>
>> During "fink selfupdate-cvs", I'm seeing a series of 10.3/unstable/...
>> entries (scrolling by for a minute, probably a few hundred files) on
>> *EVERY SINGLE UPDATE*.

Rob> Well, since I'm probably the one that made this change, I thought
Rob> I'd jump in here.  First, is it just printing the file name, updating
Rob> only the timestamp, or copying over the whole file?  Just because it
Rob> prints the filename does not mean it is transfering the whole file.
Rob> It just means that rsync flagged it for some kind of update.  Identifying
Rob> the update that rsync flagged it for would help in debugging.

It seems faster than the time I did an rm -rf on that subdir to clean
out any cruft, yes.

Rob> The change that is suspected of causing your grief is a change from
Rob> using "rsync -a" to using "rsync -r".  -a according to the man page
Rob> is equivalent to -rlptgoD.  To simplify, it recursivly transfers files
Rob> files preserving links, ownership, group, permissions, devices, and
Rob> timestamps.  Most of those are not needed for the finkinfo files.

Rob> As a test, could you modify your /sw/lib/perl/Fink/SelfUpdate.pm file
Rob> so that instead of having an "rsync -rz" you have "rsync -rtz"?  The
Rob> timestamp flag is the only other one I can see affecting this.

That's /sw/lib/perl5 of course.

After making the edit, I see the full list of names again, but
I suspect this is because the timestamps are now being set.
And yes, on looking, I now see timestamps all over the map.

And with one more update...
SUCCESS.  yes, only "./" got noted.

So, please consider this a bug report, and you now know the fix. :)