Hi,

There is a recent thread about the 'node already exists problem' at http://thread.gmane.org/gmane.os.apple.fink.general/13071

During the update of lilypond I run into the same problem. I noticed that each time it's db42-ssl-shlibs which has to be forced removed. In addition I noticed that I had db42 and db42-ssl-shlibs installed (notice one is ssl, the other is not). I dug into the info files (maintainter cc'd) and tried to understand what goes wrong:

db42:
        Depends: db42-shlibs (= %v-%r) | db42-ssl-shlibs (=%v-%r)

db42-ssl:
        Depends: %N-shlibs (= %v-%r) | db42-shlibs (=%v-%r)

lilypond:
        BuildDepends: db42, ... (no ssl version)
        Depends: db42-shlibs, ...

If db42-ssl-shlibs is installed but not db42, this leads to the error
Failed: Internal error: node for db42-ssl-shlibs already exists

To my understanding the following happens:
(1) lilypond checks for db42 which should get installed.
(2) db42 is happy as db42-ssl-shlibs is there to satisfy the dependency.
(3) lilypond then wants db42-shlibs which causes the conflict with the already installed (and from step 2 now required) db42-ssl-shlibs.

Note that it is not enough to make lilypond to depend alternatively on db42-ssl/db42-ssl-shlibs, as it still seems to pick the db42 variant. I guess that db42 (db42-ssl) may only depend on db42-shlibs (db42-ssl-shlibs) and lilypond must have an alternate dependency.

Cheers,
                Remi

Truth decays into beauty, while beauty soon becomes merely charm.
Charm ends up as strangeness, and even that doesn't last, but up and
down are forever.                                         (Anonymous)

Remigius K. Mommsen                 e-mail: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
University of California, Irvine       URL:    http://cern.ch/mommsen
c/o SLAC                             voice:        ++1 (650) 926-3595
2575 Sand Hill Road #35                fax:        ++1 (650) 926-3882
Menlo Park, CA 94025, US              home:        ++1 (650) 233-9041