On 12.05.2004, at 13:20, Frederic Gobry wrote:
I'd like some advice as a beginner packager... I've written an. info
for http://pybsddb.sf.net/ (quite easy, as it uses distutils).

Now, the issue is that this package works with any combination of:

- Berkeley DB 4.0, 4.1, 4.2

I would just depend on db 4.2, since earlier version (4.0, 4.1) had serious problems on Mac OS X (especially on multiprocessor machines).

- Python 2.2 and 2.3

Look how other packages did that. If it installes into pyhton version specific locations (e.g. /sw/lib/python2.3) you will need to build a package (maybe splitt off) for each python version. If you build a split off you should name it -py23 (or -py22).

What is the usual policy in that case ? (so far I did a package for my
needs, ie db42 and python23).

I think it should be fine to just have a version for python 2.3.

Did you have a look at submissions

[ 933804 ] python-mysql (Python interface to MySQL)
<http://sourceforge.net/tracker/index.php? func=detail&aid=933804&group_id=17203&atid=414256>

and

[ 948130 ] pysqlite
<http://sourceforge.net/tracker/index.php? func=detail&aid=948130&group_id=17203&atid=414256>

which relate to your package? There are some comments in these tracker items that probably also apply to your package.

Chris.