Here's what I had in mind:

The files in question are going to be fink.info, fink-mirrors.info, and
the like.

If foo.info is already present, but foo.info.bak is absent, then foo.info
will be moved to foo.info.bak and a new foo.info will be created.  The
user will be told that this has happened.

If both foo.info and foo.info.bak are present, the user will be warned
that foo.info.bak will be overwritten, and asked if it's OK to continue;
if the answer is "no", the program bails.

(Actually, to follow a suggestion which pogma made to me last week in a
different context, perhaps the backup file should be called
foo.info.finkbak .)

These actions will *never* be triggered by running fink itself.  The
only way to trigger them will be to do a CVS checkout of the relevant
directory, and run "./inject.pl" within that directory.  That, to my
mind, is quite similar to a user's own action, and is something only
likely to be done by developers.

I guess we could reinforce this by having ./inject.pl ask the user at
the beginning if its OK to write in the local/main tree.  Maybe even
give the user an option to choose a different tree?  (which would
then be created by the program, by the way)

However, if this is too intrusive, I am willing to go back to having a tree
whose sole purpose in life is to receive ./inject.pl-created .info files.

  -- Dave