At 11:28 PM +0200 8/24/04, Martin Costabel wrote:
Dale Grover wrote:

I am trying to get the most recent source for "xcircuit" (3.2.23) to run, so that hopefully the Fink package can be updated to a more recent version. (xcircuit is a schematic entry / drawing program.)

In brief, I *seem* to be running into a problem with libtool. During the final link stage I get the following:
rm -f lib/xcircuit.dylib
gcc -g -O2 -fPIC -o lib/tcl/xcircuit.dylib -dynamiclib -bind_at_load xcwrap.o \
elements.o events.o filelist.o files.o fontfile.o formats.o functions.o help.o keybindings.o libraries.o menucalls.o netlist.o ngspice.o parameter.o python.o rcfile.o render.o schema.o selection.o text.o undo.o tclxcircuit.o tkSimple.o tkPixmap.o xcircuit.o -L/usr/X11R6/lib \
-lc -lXt -lSM -lICE -lm -lX11 -lXpm
/usr/bin/libtool: unknown option character `b' in: -bind_at_load
Usage: /usr/bin/libtool -static [-] file [...] [-filelist

I think what this is trying to tell you is that you cannot use "-bind_at_load" with dynamic libraries. Perhaps you mean to use "-undefined dynamic_lookup"?

Possibly--I'm new to this. But the -bind_at_load appears to be a reasonable argument for "ld", and I believe (based on admittedly limited knowledge) it should be passed along without libtool worrying about it. (For example, the error from the current called libtool doesn't mention -bind_at_load as a static library option, so I think it's up to ld.)

One key seems to be which "libtool" is in fact used; once I learn how to change what libtool is called by gcc, it should be clearer. (A previous reply suggests this would be a good path, but I'm unclear on the process.) At the moment the Apple libtool is called, which seems to be A Problem--the GNU libtool (called, I believe, glibtool on my system) is apparently what's called for. However, if that fails to clear this up, I'll follow up your suggestion and see if it strikes a chord with the author.

Thanks for your help.

--Dale