Trevor Harmon wrote:

I looked at the code and I believe I found some problems. You specify a system-java15 package even though no Java 1.5 is yet available for Mac in any from (to my knowledge). By itself, this is not a problem, because I assume you were just trying to make VirtPackage.pm forward-compatible and future-proof. However, I doubt this will work as expected now that Sun has reversioned 1.5 as 5.0. In fact, it could cause serious problems: I noticed that your Perl code compares versions by gobbling up periods and then doing a numeric comparison. In this case, your code would think that Java 1.4.2 is a more recent version than 5.0 (because 142 > 50).

Actually it only uses the first 2 digits, so it would be 14 < 50. If it becomes 5.0 we'll end up with a system-java50.

Also, you said that the -dev packages are included if the JNI headers exist. On looking at the code, however, this doesn't seem to be the case. On line 196 of VirtPackage.pm, it appears that you only check for the existence of the Commands directory (not 100% sure, though; I'm not a Perl guy). The Commands directory contains commands like appletviewer, javac, and jar, which means if my package depends on jar, I would, in fact, need to specify the -dev package. I think this is why in your other packages, such as xalan-j, you depend on -dev, even though it doesn't need JNI headers.

I was incorrect about the jni headers, but you're looking at the wrong bit for system-javaXX. system-javaXX looks for the Commands directory, system-javaXX-dev looks for the Headers directory.

Regardless, the original point (you don't need to depend on the -dev if you just want the "jar" command) still stands. I am adding POD to the VirtPackages.pm file so a future version will at least be documented. =)

-- Benjamin Reed, a.k.a. Ranger Rick [EMAIL PROTECTED] / http://ranger.befunk.com/ "Yeah, rpm is for people who can't keep track of hundreds of scraps of paper." -- John Beimler

------------------------------------------------------- This SF.Net email is sponsored by: YOU BE THE JUDGE. Be one of 170 Project Admins to receive an Apple iPod Mini FREE for your judgement on who ports your project to Linux PPC the best. Sponsored by IBM. Deadline: Sept. 24. Go here: http://sf.net/ppc_contest.php _______________________________________________ Fink-devel mailing list [EMAIL PROTECTED] https://lists.sourceforge.net/lists/listinfo/fink-devel