On Dec 15, 2004, at 6:30 AM, Koen van der Drift wrote:

On Dec 15, 2004, at 12:47 AM, Martin Costabel wrote:

Koen van der Drift wrote:

Hi,
The current version of octave installs a bunch of files in directories that are called powerpc-apple-darwin7.4.0 This makes it OS X version dependent, and thus .deb files for octave are different for whatever OS X version the user had installed (I happened to have 10.3.4 installed when I build octave). Is it possible to fix this, maybe by passing --build=powerpc-apple-darwin to the configure params?
(I've mailed the maintainer - Jeff Whitaker - twice but got no response. Anyone know if he is still around?)
As far as I can see from cvs logs, he is still very much around and takes care of a couple of rather difficult packages. Maybe he concentrates on really important problems?
I have CC'd him, so he can decide if this is important.

Does this version-dependent directory pose any technical problem, as opposed to philosophical or political? I haven't experienced any problem with it.
The reason I'm asking is that am the maintainer of plplot and it installs its octave related files in the octave directories named powerpc-apple-darwin7.X.X based on the OS X version present when octave was built. So, it is my understanding that a .deb file should always be the same, no matter which Mac it was built on. This is clearly not the case in this situation, which is why I asked.
Koen,

You are absolutely right: we want fink packages to build the same for everyone (or at least, everyone using 10.3.x), so a directory whose name contains more versioning than that is bad. Your suggestion about passing --build is a good one.

Jeff, can you look into this?

 -- Dave