Hi,

On Jan 20, 2005, at 6:47 AM, Christian Schaffner wrote:

Dear Fink Developers

We recommend more and more often to use the debfoster fink package to keep track of unneeded packages on a Fink installation. One problem that users are facing with debfoster is that it asks to remove too many packages during the first run: It asks to remove essential packages, and "important" packages (e.g. apt), and even debfoster itself. If a user is not carfull the system might end up unusable due to e.g. a missing apt while running with UseBinaryDist.

There are two things that were discussed on #fink today to solve this problem:

1.
Let the package 'debfoster' depend on apt.

and

2.
Install a default '/sw/var/lib/debfoster/keepers' file with the debfoster package (or with the base-file package). It should have the names of all essential and important packages and debfoster itself as entries.

The package should of cause check for an already existing keepers file (probably through the ConfFiles field in the info file).

What is the general opinion about that? Remi?

I would opt for (2), as this is a more general solution than having a dependency on apt. I'll see if I can come up with a solution this week-end (or if anyone feels like doing it, the better).

A quick search gave me the following list of essential packages:
apt
base-files
bzip2
bzip2-shlibs
cctools-extra
debfoster
debianutils
dpkg
fink-mirrors
fink-prebinding
fink
gettext
libiconv
libiconv-bin
ncurses
ncurses-shlibs
tar
unzip

Any additions?

Cheers,
                Remi

--------------------------------------------------------------------- "Sometimes I think the surest sign that intelligent life exists else- where in the universe is that none of it has tried to contact us." Calvin (Bill Watterson)

Remigius K. Mommsen                 e-mail: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
University of California, Irvine       URL:    http://cern.ch/mommsen
c/o SLAC                             voice:        ++1 (650) 926-3595
2575 Sand Hill Road #35                fax:        ++1 (650) 926-3882
Menlo Park, CA 94025, US              home:        ++1 (650) 233-9041