Hi,

I'm remaking gdal and grass packages (as well as qgis and maperver) now. Here is my plan after some feedbacks were recieved. Any comment is welcome.

In general, when I make a package, the package should have variants like this:
foo-ssl - ssl version. have all the possible compile options.
foo - have all the possible compile options.
foo-nograss and foo-ssl-nograss - no grass support.
foo-nopgsql and foo-ssl-nopgsql - no postgresql support.

This way, people can expect foo-ssl or foo to have everything. For example, MySQL is starting to have MyGIS, just like PostGIS or Oracle's Spatial thing as I understand. In the future, the packages should have MyGIS support. If you want to save compile time or some dependency failed, you can still go for noxxx variant.

I think this way better as there are many options with GIS packages which ordinary users don't want to care. I also think providing all the options would be better than otherwise. As I figure out to have more options, I will update the package, so people can just run fink update-all or something to use the new feature.