fileutils is missing a depend on libgettext3-shlibs (it has a builddepend on libgettext3-dev.) This can lead to particularly disastrous results if you remove libgettext3-shlibs with fileutils installed and then run gcc_select (which gets run automatically when you try to build something due to the Repair Permissions issue.) An excerpt from my latest build:

cdk-4.9.10/cli/cli.make
cdk-4.9.10/cli/Makefile
cdk-4.9.10/config.status
cdk-4.9.10/cdk-4.9.10.lsm
dyld: Library not loaded: /Volumes/SandBox/fink/sw/lib/libintl.3.dylib
  Referenced from: /Volumes/SandBox/fink/sw/bin/mkdir
  Reason: image not found
/usr/sbin/gcc_select: line 645: 1350 Trace/BPT trap $dashn mkdir -p $usr/bin
dyld: Library not loaded: /Volumes/SandBox/fink/sw/lib/libintl.3.dylib
  Referenced from: /Volumes/SandBox/fink/sw/bin/ln
  Reason: image not found
/usr/sbin/gcc_select: line 645: 1358 Trace/BPT trap $dashn ln -sf gcc$switchto_cc_driver $usr/bin/cc

And then it was like beep beep beep and my /usr/bin/gcc and /usr/bin/ cc were gone. Probably because fileutils lays down /sw/bin/ln but not /sw/bin/rm, so gcc_select's rm works but its ln fails. Removing fileutils and recreating the gcc and cc symlinks gets things working enough to run gcc_select.