Jeff Whitaker wrote:
I think we want the g77 binary package to work for both users with xcode-2.1
and xcode-2.2, which precludes building differently behaving pacakges
depending on the user's currently installed gcc.

What is there at the moment sucks and won't work on intel (i386 != i686),
unfortunately, but it is better than having two different g77 packages
depending on the different xcode versions, in my opinion.

Peter

Peter: I can't remember why JFM added the link to /usr/lib/gcc/powerpc-apple-darwin8/4.0.0/libgcc.a to g77 in the first place, but if I remove it and rebuild g77, it seems to work fine (on 10.4.2 with Xcode 2.1).

I think it was added because of symbols which appear in Apple's libgcc.a (maybe saveFP, restFP et. al.) but don't exist in the fsf version. The solution used to be to add -lcc_dynamic to the link line, but with 10.4, that lib disappeared.

I'm not 100% sure though...

Peter