Hi Dan,

On Jun 4, 2007, at 1:18 PM, Daniel Macks wrote:

> On Sun, Jun 03, 2007 at 10:25:32AM -0500, Remi Mommsen wrote:
>> Hi,
>>
>> Given that we have now gcc42 in 10.4/unstable (and soon also in 10.4/
>> stable), I wonder if we should declare the gcc4 package as obsolete.
>>
>> The gcc4 package in 10.4/unstable is based on the pre-4.2 snapshot
>> 4.1.9999-20060617. In the 10.4/stable tree, gcc4 is based on 4.0.2.
>>
>> The only package depending on gcc4 is pdftk in 10.4/unstable
>> (maintainer cc'd).
>>
>> There seems to be no package in 10.4/stable requiring gcc4.
>> Therefore, I'd propose to remove gcc4 from the 10.4/stable tree once
>> we add gcc42, and declare the gcc4 package in 10.4/unstable as
>> obsolete.
>
> We haven't yet seriously addressed obsoleting packages that have
> -shlibs splitoffs. I suspect only the "gcc4" package (or whatever the
> compiler + headers is called) is technically obsolete and able to be
> discarded by end-users during an upgrade. The gcc4-shlibs component,
> if someone has indeed already compiled something against gcc4 and
> therefore hard-coded the dcc4-shlibs .dylib, that -shlibs package is
> *not* obsolete and replaceable by whatever the new one is.
>
> Actually, in keeping with the way we do other shared-library upgrades,
> could actually nuke gcc4 entirely (keeping only the -shlibs part), but
> it's sometimes difficult to adjust the .info for that...so yeah, just
> marking it obsolete sounds like an easy and good plan.
>
> dan

Couldn't one assume that if there is no package declaring a
dependency on the -shlibs package, that it is save to remove the
entire package, i.e. including the -shlibs part?

Remi

--
Truth decays into beauty, while beauty soon becomes merely charm.
Charm ends up as strangeness, and even that doesn't last, but up and

Remigius K. Mommsen                 e-mail:          [EMAIL PROTECTED]
University of Manchester               URL:    http://cern.ch/mommsen
Fermilab, MS 357                     voice:        ++1 (630) 840-8321
P.O. Box 500                           fax:        ++1 (630) 840-2649
Batavia, Il 60510, US                 home:        ++1 (630) 236-0932