Could a fink developer please comment on the best way to help with an interim solution for the "X11 package version problem". The final solution should be to use pkg-config, but in the mean time I want to not facilitate breakage where possible. If you expect 'Xquartz - version' to be formatted in a special way for your version check hacks, please let me know what it is, and I'll make sure what we display fits that formatting until you get the fink packages fixed. Hopefully that way, for the average fink user, they will see it as "just working" with the next X11 .pkg release.

--Jeremy