http://wiki.finkproject.org/index.php/Fink:Packaging:The_Great_Gnome_Update
|   ).
|

| I have a few very basic questions:
|
| 1.  Is there an estimated date of release, or goal for one?

"soon"
| 2.  What is the story with  fink package pango1-xft2-ft219-dev and
| pango1-xft2-dev ?  Why does only the first one provide libpangocairo,
| and if the two conflict and replace one another, why does the first
| one hide stuff in /sw/lib/pango-ft219/lib ?
They're development packages for two vintages of pango1.  In accordance
with our shared library policy, the development packages should
conflict, and the libraries have to be able to coexist, so
pango1-xft2-ft219-shlibs installs its libraries in
/sw/lib/pango-ft219/lib.  The -dev package probably installs there so
that there's a common root directory for the headers and the libraries.

| 3.  I've used PKG_CONFIG_PATH=/sw/lib/pango-ft219/lib/pkgconfig:$
| {PKG_CONFIG_PATH}  to get coot's configure to find pangocairo.pc,
| which it then does.  Later in the compilation, libtool tries to find
| all the associated libtool files (libpangocairo-1.0.la,
| libpango-1.0.la and so forth) in /sw/lib and fails.  Similarly, it
| starts looking for pangocairo.pc and pango.pc in /sw/lib and fails.  I
| made symbolic links as a work-around, but obviously that isn't a
| viable solution. So my questions are:
|
| a) Is pango1-xft2-ft219-dev obsolete and/or depreciated in favor of
| pango1-xft2-dev ?  If so, what should I tell the author of coot to do
| about this? Which one should we be aiming to use a year from now?

It's the other way around.  The "ft219" means that it uses
"freetype219", which corresponds to newer versions of freetype2.