What is the proper way to test whether a user is running OS X 10.3?

I've just noticed the test I had has not worked since 10.4.10, and
will either banish 10.3 support or need a fool proof test.  Did not
find anything on net.

The current code is:

# if [ `uname -r` \< "8.7.0" ]; then
#    gcc -fno-common -DLUA_USE_POSIX -DLUA_USE_DLOPEN -L. -llua.5.1.3
lua.c -o lua
# else
#    gcc -fno-common -DLUA_USE_POSIX -DLUA_USE_DLOPEN -
DLUA_USE_READLINE -lreadline -L. -llua.5.1.3 lua.c -o lua
# fi

Even if a good test is found, does anyone test packages on Panther any
more?   Should support for it just be quietly taken away?

-asko