On Saturday 23 February 2008 05:55:45 pm Asko Kauppi wrote:
> I'm a fink package maintainer, who upgraded to Leopard this week.
>
> Surprisingly, the support for 10.5.x from fink's side seems far from
> ready. I don't know the reasons, but this is rather disturbing. To me,
> fink is a method of delivering tools to people liking OS X and working
> on the command line. They would expect a Leopard capable installer by
> now.

There are reasons (see below)

> Also, building from source did not work (PowerBook G4):
>
> <<
> checking for gcc... (cached) gcc
> checking for C compiler default output file name... configure: error:
> C compiler cannot create executables
> See `config.log' for more details.
> ### execution of PERL=/usr/bin/perl failed, exit code 77
> phase compiling: dpkg-bootstrap-1.10.21-1218 failed
>
> Before reporting any errors, please run "fink selfupdate" and
> try again.  If you continue to have issues, please check to see if the
> FAQ on fink's website solves the problem.  If not, ask on the fink-users
> or fink-beginners mailing lists, with a carbon copy to the maintainer:
>
>       Fink Core Group <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
>
> Note that this is preferable to emailing the maintainer directly, since
> most fink package maintainers do not have access to all possible
> hardware and software configurations.
> <<
>
> Maybe I need to update the compiler?
>
> <<
> $ gcc -v
> Using built-in specs.
> Target: powerpc-apple-darwin8
> Configured with: /private/var/tmp/gcc/gcc-5367.obj~1/src/configure --
> disable-checking -enable-werror --prefix=/usr --mandir=/share/man --
> enable-languages=c,objc,c++,obj-c++ --program-transform-name=/^[cg]
> [^.-]*$/s/$/-4.0/ --with-gxx-include-dir=/include/c++/4.0.0 --with-
> slibdir=/usr/lib --build=powerpc-apple-darwin8 --host=powerpc-apple-
> darwin8 --target=powerpc-apple-darwin8
> Thread model: posix
> gcc version 4.0.1 (Apple Computer, Inc. build 5367)
> <<

You need to install Xcode 3.0 .  Every major version update on OS X has
required a newer Developer Tools / Xcode Tools , and this is no different.

> Anyways, the point is when could a Leopard installer be around. Any
> estimate, whatsoever?

"When it's ready".

In addition to package updates, our installer itself no longer works on
Leopard.

> If so, please share that as News on the website, and warn people that
> the binary installer is for 10.4 only.
>
> Thanks.
>
> -asko

On the download page, we specifically note that there's no Leopard installer.

--
Alexander K. Hansen
akh AT finkproject DOT org